The best types of flooring for Atlanta homes are ones that can withstand humidity while still being stylish and durable. In Atlanta, flooring trends still gravitate toward some mainstays. Hardwood is comfortable and resilient, and with proper air conditioning will not experience high humidity. Tile stays cool on hot days and comes in almost any color — plus they are moisture-proof. High-pressure laminate is a good alternative to hardwood for greater moisture resistance. For outdoor and patio areas, choose flooring options like flagstone, brick and pavers, which can withstand heavy rain and heat.
If you don’t know what kind of flooring to install, reach out to flooring companies in Atlanta who can offer recommendations.
To find the best flooring companies in Atlanta, begin by reading reviews of flooring contractors online. Compare customer ratings and reviews. Look at job photos posted by customers or the flooring companies, inspecting them for quality and workmanship.
Also, make sure the company can install the type of flooring you want. So if you want a floor that can survive Atlanta’s humidity, you might want a flooring company that specializes in engineered wood or luxury vinyl. And finally, compare quotes from the companies whenever possible.
After you've done your research, read reviews and gathered estimates, choose a flooring installation service that checks all your boxes.
When installing flooring in your home, keep in mind that some materials are better suited for certain rooms while others are not. Use this guide to help you make the best decision for your home.
Best Flooring for Basements
Basement flooring should be highly resistant to moisture, as many basements are below grade. Choosing the best flooring for basement spaces depends on what they’ll be used for. For example:
- An epoxy basement floor is a durable finish for concrete.
- Vinyl basement flooring is generally waterproof or water-resistant.
- Laminate floors can be an affordable option, but they’re often not 100% waterproof.
- Ceramic tile floors are also water-resistant.
If your basement isn’t moist, carpet tiles are also an option — just make sure to use a moisture barrier.
Best Flooring for Kitchens
Kitchen flooring does more work than almost any floor in the house, so you’ll want to choose a durable floor. The following are among the best flooring types for kitchens:
- Porcelain tiles can be fashionable, moisture-resistant, and cost less than stone or wood to install.
- Vinyl flooring can withstand dents, is generally inexpensive and it’s easy to install.
- Linoleum flooring can be durable, easy to maintain and affordable.
- Wood flooring could be damaged by dropped pots and pans, furniture and pets. However, hardwood and engineered wood floors in kitchen spaces are still popular among homeowners.
Best Flooring for Bathrooms
Bathroom flooring must withstand high moisture levels while also being comfortable on bare feet. Here are some of the best flooring options for bathrooms:
- Porcelain tiles are generally comfortable, waterproof, stylish and less costly than stone or wood.
- Vinyl flooring is waterproof, cost-effective and can imitate wood convincingly.
- Natural stone can be expensive, but it’s typically hard and durable.
Reach out to a flooring installation and repair professional near you to see which type you should install in your home.
Waterproof or scratch-resistant flooring is typically the best flooring for dogs. This includes:
- Vinyl: Vinyl may not add much to the value of your home, but it is resistant to scratching, stains, dents and accidents. Plus, it’s an affordable option.
- Tile: Tile is generally water-resistant and scratch-proof, and more affordable than hardwood or stone.
- Laminate: Laminate is not truly waterproof, but it is tough and often more scratch-resistant than other wood floorings.
Remember that solid hardwood is susceptible to damage, including dents, scratching, licking and accidents. But if you want to install wood floors, the best hardwood floors for dogs are typically made out of maple, Brazilian walnut or bamboo.
For more tips on choosing the best flooring for dogs, talk to one of the best flooring installation professionals near you.
The national average cost to install flooring is $5,500, with prices ranging from $1,000 to $10,000 . Your cost can be much lower or higher depending on the type of flooring you select, the square footage of the project, and other important variables like demolition and repair work needed.
Here are some examples of floor installation costs, depending on the material:
- Laminate flooring: $300 - $4,000
- Vinyl flooring: $1,000 - $4,500
- Radiant floor heating: $1,000 - $10,000
- Wood flooring: $1,500 - $10,000
- Bamboo flooring: $3,500 - $9,000
Reach out to the top flooring installation specialists near you to get an accurate, free estimate of how much it will cost to install flooring in your home.
Unless you have plenty of experience installing the type of floor you want, it is worth it to hire a professional flooring specialist.
The first reason is tools — pros have them, and they know how to use them. Without the proper experience, there is a high risk of injury with nail guns and power saws. A good pro also works quickly, saving you time that you could spend doing other things.
Finally, a pro gets you past options paralysis by helping you decide the best flooring for different rooms and areas of the home.
To get started on your flooring project, contact the best flooring contractors near you today.