How much does it cost to carpet a bedroom?
If you’re building a new home, remodeling, or ready for new carpet in your bedroom, you’ll want to know carpet installation costs. Here are the factors that affect the cost of your new bedroom carpet:
- Installation cost per square yard: From under $2 to over $6. Carpet companies have a labor cost per square foot for installing your new carpet. Depending on where you live in the country, that rate can vary greatly. This rate does not include the cost of the carpet.
- Type of carpet: from $1 per square foot to $20 or more per square foot. The fibers that make up your carpet will have a direct effect on cost. As an example, specialty wool carpets may start at about $10 per square foot, while a manufactured fiber like nylon may be about $2 per square foot.
- Removal of old carpet: from $1 to $4 per square yard. Old carpet is labor-intensive to remove and also costs money to dispose of or recycle. The cost to remove carpet will depend on how much carpet you need removed and whether your installation pros offer a discounted rate for installing your new carpet at the same time.
- Subfloor repair: from $40 to $70 per hour (plus materials cost). If the flooring underneath your old carpet is damaged, it must be repaired before the new carpet is installed. Many carpet pros can offer this service, or you can hire a handyman to handle the job.
- Type of carpet pad: $1 per square yard and up, depending on the thickness. The cost to install carpet pad is typically included with the labor cost per yard of installing the carpet itself.
How much does it cost to install carpet?
If you’re ready to bring new life into your house with a makeover from the ground up, you’re ready to learn more about carpet installation costs. Installation costs vary greatly, depending on a number of factors such as the type of carpet, the number of square yards, any necessary repair work, the number of stairs you have, and where you live. Due to these variables, the national average cost of carpet installation ranges between $200 and $4,500.
To start planning for your new carpet, measure roughly how many square yards of carpet you’ll need. Research the main carpet styles and materials you like to get a feel for what they cost. Nylon carpets are typically the least expensive, and wool is one of the higher-end carpets. Prices per square foot might range from under $2 to over $10, depending on materials. Count the number of stairs you want carpeted; each one might average between $3 and $10 (or more for box steps). Carpet removal can be an added cost as well, averaging $1-$4 per square yard, depending on the company and regional disposal costs.
How much is the cheapest carpet?
If you’re looking to reduce carpet installation costs, there are several ways to save. Start by considering your carpeting needs. Manufactured materials such as polyester and nylon will be cheaper than natural fibers such as wool. From big box retailers, starting prices for olefin-based carpet are approximately 50 cents per square foot — making the cost under $5 per square yard. Indoor carpets made with olefin fibers are typically the least expensive on the market. Keep in mind that olefin fibers are not as soft on bare feet as other fibers, so are often used in areas like basements, playrooms or indoor patios. Nylon and polyester are good options to reduce carpet installation costs while still creating a cozy feel. The face weight, fiber construction and density of a carpet all affect the cost per square foot. The cheapest nylon or polyester carpets can start at just under $2 per square foot, making them about $18 per square yard. Lower-cost carpet tends to wear out more quickly and show stains more easily, so avoid light colors and vacuum regularly to keep the fibers clear of dirt that might age it too quickly.
How much does it cost to install carpet on stairs?
The number of stairs you want carpeted in your home will directly affect your carpet installation cost. Putting carpet on stairs generally increases the labor time and requires a higher degree of detail than laying carpet flat. Where you live in the country also plays a role in your carpet installation cost. Carpet installation companies in smaller towns with a lower cost of living and a lower cost to do business (insurance, company vehicles, employee labor, etc.) can usually offer their customers lower rates than companies in large cities where the cost of living and the cost to do business are higher. Carpet pros will often quote you a flat rate per stair once they do a site visit to provide an estimate. They’ll take into account the size of each stair you want carpeted (including both the step and the riser), and what type of stair it is. For example, the cost might range between $3 and $10 per stair for labor only. On the higher end of the spectrum, box stairs or staircase stairs with spindles that must be worked around might cost between $15 and $25 per stair.
Do flooring professionals offer remote or virtual services?
Because flooring work has to be done in-person, flooring professionals are typically unable to perform work virtually. If you come across a pro's profile that states they're offering remote services, message the pro to see what those services include.
If you plan to get indoor flooring installed once the pandemic is over, you can ask potential flooring specialists if they host virtual consultations through video calls and digital messaging. Compare flooring professionals in your area online to find the right fit, and book an appointment.
What's the best flooring for basements, kitchens and bathrooms?
When installing flooring in your home, keep in mind that some materials are better suited for certain rooms while others are not. Use this guide to help you make the best decision for your home.
Best Flooring for Basements
Basement flooring should be highly resistant to moisture, as many basements are below grade. Choosing the best flooring for basement spaces depends on what they’ll be used for. For example:
- An epoxy basement floor is a durable finish for concrete.
- Vinyl basement flooring is generally waterproof or water-resistant.
- Laminate floors can be an affordable option, but they’re often not 100% waterproof.
- Ceramic tile floors are also water-resistant.
If your basement isn’t moist, carpet tiles are also an option — just make sure to use a moisture barrier.
Best Flooring for Kitchens
Kitchen flooring does more work than almost any floor in the house, so you’ll want to choose a durable floor. The following are among the best flooring types for kitchens:
- Porcelain tiles can be fashionable, moisture-resistant, and cost less than stone or wood to install.
- Vinyl flooring can withstand dents, is generally inexpensive and it’s easy to install.
- Linoleum flooring can be durable, easy to maintain and affordable.
- Wood flooring could be damaged by dropped pots and pans, furniture and pets. However, hardwood and engineered wood floors in kitchen spaces are still popular among homeowners.
Best Flooring for Bathrooms
Bathroom flooring must withstand high moisture levels while also being comfortable on bare feet. Here are some of the best flooring options for bathrooms:
- Porcelain tiles are generally comfortable, waterproof, stylish and less costly than stone or wood.
- Vinyl flooring is waterproof, cost-effective and can imitate wood convincingly.
- Natural stone can be expensive, but it’s typically hard and durable.
Reach out to a flooring installation and repair professional near you to see which type you should install in your home.
How much are oak hardwood floors?
Installing oak hardwood floors can add value and beauty to your home. The cost of hardwood floors is typically based on the overall square footage of your new floor, the type of oak you select, any repair work your subfloor requires prior to installation, and any demolition costs to remove your old flooring. Other factors that will affect your total cost can include the regional cost of labor and business overhead of your flooring company.
A flooring installation company may charge $3 per square foot for standard installation. For hand-scraped (higher-end) ¾-inch oak planks, the cost is approximately $7 per square foot, for a total cost per square foot of about $10 as long as no repair work is required. Standard oak planks are available from big-box stores for as low as $3 per square foot, so the quality of oak you want will affect your total project cost.
How long does carpet installation take?
You can expect carpet installation to take anywhere between several hours and a day. The length of the job depends on the scope of the project, room size, the type of carpet being installed and the condition of the work space. If your carpet crew needs to move furniture or work around other contractors, expect the project to take longer. Odd-shaped rooms with nooks and carpeted closets will also add time.
What is the best flooring for dogs?
Waterproof or scratch-resistant flooring is typically the best flooring for dogs. This includes:
- Vinyl: Vinyl may not add much to the value of your home, but it is resistant to scratching, stains, dents and accidents. Plus, it’s an affordable option.
- Tile: Tile is generally water-resistant and scratch-proof, and more affordable than hardwood or stone.
- Laminate: Laminate is not truly waterproof, but it is tough and often more scratch-resistant than other wood floorings.
Remember that solid hardwood is susceptible to damage, including dents, scratching, licking and accidents. But if you want to install wood floors, the best hardwood floors for dogs are typically made out of maple, Brazilian walnut or bamboo.
For more tips on choosing the best flooring for dogs, talk to one of the best flooring installation professionals near you.
How much does it cost to install flooring?
The national average cost to install flooring is $5,500, with prices ranging from $1,000 to $10,000 . Your cost can be much lower or higher depending on the type of flooring you select, the square footage of the project, and other important variables like demolition and repair work needed.
Here are some examples of floor installation costs, depending on the material:
- Laminate flooring: $300 - $4,000
- Vinyl flooring: $1,000 - $4,500
- Radiant floor heating: $1,000 - $10,000
- Wood flooring: $1,500 - $10,000
- Bamboo flooring: $3,500 - $9,000
Reach out to the top flooring installation specialists near you to get an accurate, free estimate of how much it will cost to install flooring in your home.